I think for the next Summer Olympics we should consider a sales decathlon instead of ballroom dancing. It can be an individual and team sport. Here is how I envision it:
You could create a decathlon that extends for weeks, where the skills people (individually or in a relay) would compete for in the following categories:
1. Time Management
- How quickly can salesthletes manage the decathlon while handling 200 emails a day, blogging, tweeting and creating proposals. They will also have to do many of these while running a 10K and pole-vaulting.
- Which team knows where their sweetspot is and can navigate a territory and its detours, which could be online or actual traffic detours. You would also have to throw a javelin or use a bow and arrow to hit the center of your target. Participants will need to strategize by entering black holes where all light and information is removed from an opportunity (kind of like a customer not calling back) and navigate their way out of the black hole and back on track.
3. Business Acumen
- Salespeople will run along a similar path as runners or bikers and at different stages will be given questions to answer by different business people. If they get it correct, they run to the next station and hand off the next question to be answered. If they drop the question or get it wrong, they have to wait X seconds to get it right or ask another teammate. This will be a series of 100 meter dashes.
4. DiSC and Getting Along with Prospects
- Each team will be stopped by an official who represents a different DiSC style. They will have to engage in a physical event with them (lifting, pulling or throwing something) and determine which DiSC style they are by how the official interacts with them.
- While running, they will have to text, email or call a prospect and get a meeting using relevant, compelling messaging and social media. They can use an “official Olympic” tablet or smartphone. Sponsors will go crazy for this event.
- A dexterity and strength test will be given where they have to punch a wall mounted device that will reveal if they have asked the right question in the right way in the right order. Asking or punching things incorrectly brings a penalty, where doing so correctly, makes the physical task of punching easier. They can also use different size discus instead of punching.
- While juggling several things (pins, balls, oranges) they have to relate their solution to a specific circumstance. They will also have to long jump to engage the judges. To test their dexterity, judges will also be able to throw objects at them which they have to dodge while presenting. The best team will advance to the next round.
- If the object thrown hits the salesthlete, they have to address the objection in a way that the judge puts down other items they are preparing to throw at the participant. Or they have to jump over specific hurdles after they address the objection.
- A salesthlete needs to turn or lift a very heavy object to close the deal. This could be a lifting weights or a steel shutter to show their strength.
- The lead salesthlete needs to work with his or her other teammates to persuade the judges that the offer/terms they have made will be accepted. This will be done via a Greco-Roman wrestling match.
The winning relay team would finish the events in the least amount of time and get a Gold medal, but since they are salesthletes, they would also get some kind of spiff like a 3 day 2 night vacation with their partner or spouse to some exotic location.
I am accepting applications for the Sales Olympics. Let me know what event you wish to be in and your credentials. Any ideas for improving the event are also welcome.