There are so many questions we can ask about a prospect's budget but we tend to ask only a few. Here are some ideas for you from the basic to more interesting questions.
- Is there a budget for this project?
- How much is it?
- Can you give me a rough idea or estimate or range?
- Who was involved in setting the budget?
- What % of the overall project is the budget for what we are discussing?
- What elements went into the budget?
- Is the budget approved?
- Is it an op ex or cap ex?
- What are the different signatures required to get the budget?
- Are you competing for this budget or is it a line item for you?
- What can make this budget disappear?
- Whose budget/money is it?
- If not budgeted, how do you get money?
- Is there a precedent you can use that would be successful?
- Where is the most perilous path in spending the money?
- What internal or external obstacles can prevent this budget being allocated?
Do you have any others that you use? Do you have a deal involving budget you would like to discuss?