Social Media and Sales Opportunities
I am on a panel at Selling Power 2.0 on Monday, July 23rd and the conversation is all about social media and selling. It is common knowledge at this point that people are going online to help with their purchasing decisions, BUT, I don't think salespeople have made the transition to truly understand how their prospects are doing so.
I think our questions regarding a prospect’s decision process and criteria needs to start including social media questions:
1. Do you use social media to help in your decision process (if they look at you like a deer in the headlights you don't need to ask any of the following questions)?
2. How did you use social media, LinkedIn, forums or the internet up to this point in your decision?
3. How will you be using it from this point till your final decision?
4. How much weight do you give to the information online?
5. Where do you go?
6. Is there anyone or any site in particular you really respect and influences you?
7. Have you read…? (plant seed)
8. Have you been to our or my blog or site?
9. Is there anybody in the decision process who is enamored with or believes this is a critical part of the process?
10. How does this compare with actual references that I will give you?
Once you have the answer to these questions, and if the deal is large enough, you or your marketing organization can start monitoring or contributing to these sites, blogs, forums, etc. This would be particularly important when you are working a large deal that takes a longer time and has large lags between key events of steps in a process. Email Me, OR: